About Dr. Jennifer Kargel
Assistant Professor, Department of Plastic Surgery UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas Texas Section Chief of Plastic Surgery and Director of Hand Surgery
VA North Texas Health Care System, Dallas Texas
Additional practice locations include:
Children’s Health Specialty Center Dallas Campus
Children’s Health Specialty Center 1 Plano Campus
Dr. Jennifer Kargel comes from a family of medical providers, and always knew she would become a physician and surgeon. During her medical training years, she was further drawn to the plastic surgery field by inspiring mentors such as Dr. Linda Phillips, a well-known female plastic surgeon who is the program director and chair of plastic surgery at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston, Texas. Dr. Kargel says that she always urged her students and residents to think outside of the box when problem-solving and to strive to always give 110% to make an impact their patients’ lives. When asked why she chose hand surgery, she says “the wonderful thing about the field of plastic surgery and the subspecialty field of hand surgery is that they require daily application of creativity and combine many areas of expertise including bony fixation, soft tissue manipulation, and even microsurgery”.
Dr. Kargel takes a unique approach to providing plastic surgery care in the Dallas area because she works with two very different patient groups. At the Dallas VA campus, she oversees plastic and reconstructive surgery and hand surgery for veterans, while she also specializes in pediatric hand surgery at other local hospitals. She uses the skills she has acquired through training and experience to impact the lives of all her patients in a positive way.
- Bachelor of Science in Biology at University of Texas at Dallas, Richardson Texas
- Medical Doctor Degree at University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston Texas
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery residency completion at University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston Texas
- Fellowship in hand and microsurgery at UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas Texas
- Board Certified in Plastic Surgery, American Board of Plastic Surgery
- Board Certified in Hand Surgery, American Board of Plastic Surgery
- Texas State Medical License
Professional Associations and Affiliations:
- Texas Medical Association, Member
- Dallas County Medical Society, Member
- Texas Society of Plastic Surgery, Member
- American Association of Hand Surgery, Candidate Member
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons, Candidate Member
- Femoral Nerve Palsy as a Complication of Anterior Iliac Crest Bone Harvest: Report of Two Cases and Review of the Literature. Kargel J, Dimas V, Tanaka W, Robertson OB, Coy M, Gotcher J, Chang P. Canadian Journal of Plastic Surgery 14 (4): 239-241, Winter 2006
- Orthognathic Surgery for Management of Arthrogryposis Multiplex Congenita: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Kargel J, Dimas V, Chang P. Canadian Journal of Plastic Surgery 15 (1): 53-55, Spring 2007
- Forequarter Amputation for Malignant Tumors of the Upper Extremity: Case Report, Techniques and Indications. Dimas V, Kargel J, Bauer J, Chang P. Canadian Journal of Plastic Surgery 15 (2): 83-85, Summer 2007
- Empiric Antibiotic Therapy for Seawater Injuries: A Four Seasonal Analysis. Kargel J, Dimas V, Kao D, Heggers J, Chang P, Phillips LG. Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery 121(4):1249-1255, April 2008.
- Treatment of Nipple Hypertrophy by a Simplified Reduction Technique. Moliver C, Kargel J, Sullivan M. Aesthetic Surgery Journal. Jan 2013, 33: 1:77-83.
- The Effect of Barbed Suture Tendon Repair on Work of Flexion. Ben-Amotz, O.,Kargel, J.,Mailey, B.,Sammer, D. M.; J Hand Surg Am. 2015 Mar 31.
- Andrews Institute Sports Medicine Lecture Series, Plano TX (11/2017)
“Overuse Injuries of the Hand and wrist In the Pediatric Patient